[obol] Re: Fwd: Re: Off topic - Gray Fox - Clatsop Co.

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:49:01 -0700

A couple of comments.

One, Gray Fox can climb trees. They are one of the few canines to be able to do this task. I believe that they even have retractable claws like a cat. This is very unique.

Two, they are not overly shy, at least according to folks I know who do a lot of hunting or predator management. They are well known to come into distress calls to investigate, and are well known to walk right up to the source, even if it is a hunter with a call box. So the story Karen told of being on a horse makes a little more sense if you understand they aren't as shy as one might think. They are fairly nocturnal which explains why we don't see them much.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 8/18/2014 9:08 AM, George Neavoll wrote:
I saw them quite frequently on the farm where I grew up east of Lebanon, in Linn County - once in a tree! (This was more than 50 years ago.)

George Neavoll
S.W. Portland

Begin forwarded message: