[obol] Fwd: Portland CALLIOPE Hummingbirds

  • From: Christopher Hinkle <christopher.hinkle2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:15:48 -0800

Rie Luft asked me to post that the Audubon Wildlife Care Center got two
male CALLIOPE Hummingbirds yesterday. They were found injured at separate
locations in NW Portland. Here is her description: “Definitely two
Calliopes!  Unfortunately neither was in good shape but one better than the
other - both males.  The gorgets are absolutely stunning with that rosy
petaled-scalloped edging that flares outward when hovering and the long
narrow whitish stripe along the top of the gorget.  We were able to get one
to start drinking and it perked up but one wing doesn't look good so the
prognosis is really guarded.”

Rie knows her birds well; no doubt she ID'd them correctly. I would be
interesed in hearing of previous records this early.

Christopher Hinkle