[obol] Re: Fwd: OBOL photos - Misty's dark buteo

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 20:59:46 -0700

Folks,

I agree with Wayne Hoffman's reducing the choices to Red-tail or Swainson's.
I'm notoriously inept at birding-by-photo, but...

In image 3294 I see:
- a uniform, soft brown head and breast and a darker belly
-  a hint of a white chin
- a hint of a banded tail

I'd guess this is a dark phase Swainson's Hawk.

Problem: the bill looks big and I don't see a yellow cere.

Paul T. Sullivan

Subject: Fwd: OBOL photos
Date: Tue May 7 2013 21:28 pm
From: deweysage AT frontier.com

Folks,

Can anyone help Misty with here dark phase hawk photos?   They are
here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/9...

Cheers
Dave Lauten
OBOL moderator