[obol] Fwd: Lake County day for ECAS Wednesday Birding, no rares

  • From: jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 'obol' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:23:56 -0700

Beautiful day once we got past the early cold temp and wind around Fort Rock. We were unable to find any Greater Sage Grouse, White-throated Swifts, swans or white geese. But the birds put on a great show, including the 2 pair of PRAIRIE FALCONS around Fort Rock, calling, flying repeatedly. SAGE THRASHERS sang, and Tree Swallows, the only swallow species of the day, were numerous around Summer Lake. In general, it is still early for migration on this side of Oregon. Some people had good looks at SAGEBRUSH SPARROWS, some of us poor looks. We tried in a good habitat a couple of times for day roosting owls but only came up with a pair of Great-horned Owls. AMERICAN AVOCETS, DUNLIN, and a GREATER YELLOWLEGS were along the auto tour loop at Summer Lake. Cinnamon Teal was first for the year for most of us. Thanks to Chris S. for the big pan of rice crispy treats that kept us going, and to Chuck for ebirding along the day. I have likely missed some birds on the list so others can add any of I missed.
This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

++ 1 wood tick, so everyone check tonight!
Greater White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal, one only
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-Winged Teal
Canvasback
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck, some going into breeding plumage
Ring-necked Pheasant
California Quail
American White Pelican, breeding knobs!
Double-crested Cormorant
Turkey Vulture
Osprey, 2 pair Summer Lake
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier, one gathering nest material.
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk
Rough-legged Hawk
Golden Eagle
American Kestrel
Prairie Falcon
Virginia Rail, hard only, grunting at Summer Lake
American Coot
Sandhill Crane, heard occas, several seen
Killdeer
American Avocet, 20 or more, Windbreak
Greater Yellowlegs, 1, Windbreak
Dunlin, several, Tern Island
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Great Horned Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Say's Phoebe
Loggerhead Shrike
Western Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
++ American Crow, 2 near Silver Lake and 3 along Arrow Gap
Common Raven
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Canyon Wren, singing Fort Rock
Marsh Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Mountain Bluebird
American Robin
Sage Thrasher
European Starling
American Pipit, flock along Bullgate
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Spotted Towhee
Sagebrush Sparrow, around Fort Rock
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow, Summer Lake
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Lesser Goldfinch, Marty's feeders
American Goldfinch, Marty's Feeders
House Sparrow
Total number of species seen: 71

Birders today: Tim Zook, Chuck Gates, Howard Horvath, Mary Shivell, Sherrie Pierce, Mike Golden, Sue Bertsch, Loren Smith, Tom Penpraze, Tom Lawler, Chris Schneekloth, Cal Elshoff, Candace Cobb, Doreen Prieto, Judy Meredith. Also, birding in the area we saw David Vick and friend, John and Anne Gerke, and Marty St. Louis. Next week, Calliope Crossing and Green Ridge, half day. Back to Sisters by 1 pm. Good birding, Judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx