[obol] [Fwd: 9 Grasshopper Sparrow morning In Willamette valley]

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 21:52:12 -0700

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Bob Altman <baltman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 9 Grasshopper Sparrow morning In Willamette valley
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:57:03 -0700

Went to two regular spots this am, Ward Butte and Belts Road.  Despite
nasty weather, during breaks, bird were singing well.  At Ward Butte
there were two birds; along Belts Road there were 4 pretty evenly spaced
along the road, and then on Gap Road just across from the intersection
with Belts Road there were another 3 – one directly across from the
intersection and one north of that and one south.  Both the Belts Road
and Gap Road sites have fairly extensive habitat away from the road
where it is likely that there are several more than what you can hear
from the road.

Most disturbing was the complete absence of singing vesper sparrows at
these sites and several other sites I stopped at.  I did see a pair at
Belts Road so maybe the weather is much more of a factor in depressing
song activity than for all the other birds than were singing somewhat
normally.

Bob Altman
American Bird Conservancy
311 NE Mistletoe