[obol] Flicker/Starling interaction

  • From: Kevin Smith <kevinsmithnaturephotos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 10:25:32 -0700

This morning at 7:30 I noticed two female Red-shafted Flickers on our power pole.They seem to be dancing together.Bobbing heads, spreading tails, making lots of noise.This activity is something we see quite a lot but this morning it seemed to go on longer than usual.OK ladies, I get your request, I said to myself as I grabbed my long-lens camera.Got to record this show.So, I got a few shots and thought ‘Yeah, this should do’.Got my cup of coffee and settled back into my ‘observation’ chair.HEY, they’re STILL at it.Time was 7:45.Another few shots.

THEN, THIS happened.We usually don’t have Starlings but over the past snow fall we have gained three of the invaders.Just three (I sure hope no more find us).So, three Starling fly into a bar --Wait just a dogbonned minute.Not THAT story!

New observation.One Starling flies up to the top of the pole where the ‘Ladies’ are still going at it, bobbing, swaying, never touching beaks, but almost.Time is now almost 8AM!The Starling tries to jump up to the top of the pole and join in the ‘fray’.BAM!!One of the Flickers stabs the Starling with its beak!I mean darn near strikes it to the ground.I was so taken aback I forgot I had my camera right there in my hands.It tried again to cut in to the ‘dance’ and again, SMACK!Rebuffed.Now, my camera is capable of shooting TEN shots per second and I MISSED the actual contact.

“This is OUR fight! No cuts.”

Has anyone else seen this kind of inter-species interaction?

Kevin Smith

Crooked River Ranch, Oregon