[obol] Finding a Northern Mockingbird in Oregon

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 08:05:48 -0700

I have seen NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD in multiple counties in Oregon, but until I
moved to Jackson County, I did not realize that they breed in Oregon.  As I
understand it, there used to be a reliable site in Klamath for several years,
but that pair has disappeared.  Jackson County is the most reliable spot in
Oregon to see a Northern Mockingbird.
If you are in the area and would like to try your luck, consider the following
locations: Kirtland Sewage Ponds, Denman NWA and Whetstone Savannah Nature
Conservancy Reserve.  Directions and information about each birding location
can be found on the ECAS website.
http://birdingoregon.info/Home/JacksonCounty/tabid/191/Default.aspx
Also, we have breeding GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES, but they are most consistent on
private land.  This year, however, there appears to be a pair nesting at the
Ave G pond of Denman NMA.
Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford