[obol] Re: Field cameras catch deer eating birds

  • From: Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pamela Johnston <pamelaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 09:05:24 -0800

A couple of weeks ago I stepped outside to find a squirrel with a Junco in it's
mouth. I don't know if it captured a live bird, found a dead bird or an injured
bird. It was on the ground and then went a short way up a tree. It sat in one
place and was acting like it didn't quite know what to do- could have been my
perception, of course. I had to leave for work so I don't know what it
eventually did with the bird. That was the first time I have seen a squirrel
with anything other than standard squirrel fare.

Gerard Lillie
Portland, OR

From: pamelaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Re: Field cameras catch deer eating birds
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 08:33:59 -0800

Deer have also been observed eating dead frogs. I’d say our notions of what
animals will eat are often a bit narrow.

Pamela Johnston