[obol] Fern Ridge and West Eugene bird highlights

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 19:35:44 -0700

An OSU student and I birded a portion of Fern Ridge Reservoir this morning
and early afternoon.  Right at the start, we found a dozen or so ACORN
WOODPECKERS in the oak grove at the beginning of the deadend portion of
Royal Avenue.   We found a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT about 50 yards north of
Royal Avenue just to the west of the gate. There was a good assortment of
ducks in the ponds around the observation deck.  Several YELLOW WARBLERS
sang from the willows nearby. About a dozen CEDAR WAXWINGS were flycatching
there.  Past the observation deck but before any turns in the pathway, we
found a WILSON'S PHALAROPE, a pair of BLACK-NECKED STILTS, a LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHER, a few GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and an AMERICAN AVOCET.  A flock of
about a dozen WHITE PELICANS flew over the reservoir to the northwest.  A
single BLACK TERN flew through the area.  A CASPIAN TERN was also present.
An OSPREY caught a fish and carried it off while we were there.  PURPLE
MARTINS and BALD EAGLES were frequently overhead.

We went to Perkins Peninsula to take a look at grebes, and found both
CLARK'S and WESTERN.  Close to the water's edge across from the boat
landing, two BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS were foraging.  Near the beginning of
the nature trail, we saw a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK.  It was on the ground at
first, and may have been picking up some nesting material.

On my way home, I stopped by the EWEB facility and found a SPOTTED
SANDPIPER foraging along the remaining puddle near the parking lot.  Some
WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were in the area, as well.

It was a nice day to be out, especially since the 60 percent chance of rain
never materialized.

--
Barbara Combs   obie '70
Lane County, OR