[obol] Fern Ridge, 5/20

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 12:37:55 -0700

I birded Fern Ridge this morning.  Highlights included five WILSON'S
PHALAROPES, a BLACK-NECKED STILT, a GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and a couple of
BLACK TERNS.  I got there a little later than planned and activity seemed
to be on the lighter side.

When I arrived, I ran into a birding group that was on their way out.  One
of them told me that they'd seen Sandhill Cranes earlier in the morning.
 About 20 minutes later, I ran into another person and mentioned this
sighting to him.  This person told me that he'd seen something about a mile
off that looked to him like a crane, but he couldn't confirm the ID.  I
kept my eyes peeled for the hour and a half that I was there, but did not
see any cranes.  I don't know if there is any precedent for Sandhills
breeding west of the Cascades in drought years.

Brandon
Eugene