[obol] Fern Ridge, 5/14

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:47:00 -0700

I biked out to Fern Ridge after school today and found lots of activity and
some good birds. I was there from 4:45 - 6:00 PM and unfortunately missed
both Dennis Arendt and Kit Larsen as well as their shrike and chats.
However, I did have a WESTERN KINGBIRD along Royal a few hundred yards east
of the parking lot, and found the Royal Ave. oak grove to be brimming with
birds, including many conspicuous BULLOCK'S ORIOLES, BLACK-HEADED
GROSBEAKS, Acorn Woodpeckers, flyover RED CROSSBILLS, a WESTERN TANAGER,
and a LAZULI BUNTING.

Highlights in the marshes included wonderfully close views of 2
BLACK-NECKED STILTS next to the dike running southwest from the platform, 2
AMERICAN AVOCETS; one in the Barn Pond and the other bathing in the pond
just south of the platform. Also of note was 1 female WILSON'S PHALAROPE in
the Barn Pond, 4 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS in with a mixed flock of peeps
including Dunlin, Western, and Least Sandpipers in the Barn Pond, and
numerous BLACK TERNS everywhere.

Shorebirds overall were in good variety:

Long-billed Dowitcher
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Dunlin