[obol] Fern Rdige Stilts- Yes, Avocets- No

  • From: "John Sullivan" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "oropendolas@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 23:41:03 -0400 (EDT)

There are at least two pair of Black-necked Stilts with two young each in the
Fisher Unit. I'm guessing an 8-10 day size difference between the two sets of
chicks. This afternoon, a third pair were acting as if another nest were
nearby.

Newest: https://flic.kr/p/oh9LPA

Older: https://flic.kr/p/ofZBZU

The Avocet nest on the Barn Pond has failed. I last saw a bird on the nest on
July 3. On July 8, two adult Avocets were on the Royal observation platform
pond far away from the nest, none in the vicinity of the nest. Today, no
Avocets to be seen. I was sure the nest had been abandoned, so I walked out to
see if I
could find a clue to what happened. After some searching I found the nest with
3 eggs, one broken. Seems a strange gash in the egg... not predated. Any ideas
what could have done it?

Broken Egg: https://flic.kr/p/nZR8Rc

John Sullivan
Springfield, OR