[obol] Re: FW: Re: 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers?

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 19:40:21 +0000

Greetings All,

Interestingly, larger flocks of Semipalmated Sandpipers are detected far more
regularly in Washington than they are in Oregon. Birds of Washington (Wahl et
al. Eds. 2005) lists three Puget Trough counts of 20+ birds (all from late
July-early August) and I believe that there have been counts of 30 or more in
the P.T. since that book was published. In September 2008, Steve Mlodinow and I
made a four-day trip to eastern Washington. The first day was spent birding
around Potholes Reservoir, Soap Lake, and various other shallow lakes with
mudflats. We found multiple juvenile Semipalmated Sandpipers in every flock of
Western Sandpipers that we encountered, with a high count of six at Soap Lake.
I can't remember exactly how many Semis we saw that day, but as I recall, it
was at least twenty.

BTW Russ, Congratulations on finding the first Semipalmated Sandpiper for
Josephine. I have some dim recollection of a discussion from a few months back,
which pointed out that Josephine was perhaps the only Oregon county where
Semipalmated Sandpiper had not been recorded. It was surely the only remaining
western Oregon county without a record. Having birded some in Josephine, I can
appreciate the challenges of finding shorebirds there.

Dave Irons

From: namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] FW: Re: 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:43:56 -0700

Looks like 6 is the number to beat.
Russ

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 20:13:19 -0700
Subject: Re: [obol] Re: 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers?

A few years ago, on Aug 5, 2009, Daniel Ferrar and I had at least 6
Semipalmated Sandpipers in a small mixed flock of peeps (about 10 Least, 15
Westerns). That's the biggest concentration I've come across in Oregon so far.

Hendrik

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Alan Contreras

Multiple birds are fairly regular in the northern half of Oregon. I once saw
four in a flock at Tillamook.

Alan ContrerasEugene, Oregon