[obol] FRR--NO rare shorebirds

  • From: Isaac Denzer <bartailedgodwit@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 19:21:30 -0700

Hi all,

Jacob Mathison, Alex Farrand and I went to Fern Ridge today to look for the the Buff-breasted and Stilt Sandpipers seen yesterday. We missed both species, despite over 4 hours of looking.

However, we did see and photograph a Short-eared Owl in the reeds in pelican pond. This seems rather early for them. I know they're very rare breeders in the valley. Maybe our bird spent the summer in the area?

Other highlights included: 3 SB Dowitchers, 4 Baird's Sandpipers, and 3 Pectoral Sandpipers. Still lots of shorebirds around, just not any rare ones...Pics and complete list here <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48225199>.

Good birding,

Isaac Denzer