[obol] FOS Selasphorus Hummer, Takilma, Josephine Co.

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:04:00 -0800

Here in the Illinois Valley, Takilma Area, Josephine County at about 1700 feet and off the valley floor.

Had our "first of Spring" Selasphorus hummer - a male Allen's type (all green back; no red until "lower rump"/ uppertail coverts) today (2/27/2016).

Also observed a "first of season" male Anna's hummer on 2/22/2016. This would have been very unusual a few years ago because it's just in the last 3 years that in our general area they've become active nesters here off the valley floor. Previously, I'd only see a few individuals (if any) in late summer. Now Anna's are common around our feeder during spring/ early summer.

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523
541-592-2311