[obol] Re: Eugene Red-naped Sapsucker Photos

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 21:02:17 -0700

Thanks for the comments on this bird, Dave. A trihybrid cross is certainly
an interesting proposition, and quite possible, although seemingly
implausible, considering the rarity of both Yellow-bellied and Red-naped
Sapsucker in this part of Oregon.

I've included more photos to show the sapsuckers' back at this link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/116543486500187950130/EugeneRedNapedSapsucker3815?authuser=0&feat=directlink
As you can see most of the back consists of the typical Red-naped Sapsucker
pattern of two white lines, not golden-buff almost completely across, as
the profile photos might have suggested. Although the white pattern gets a
bit messier lower down, my experience with pure Red-naped Sapsuckers in the
interior west is that this is pretty typical.

Also, I would not say that there is significant red in the
supercilium—perhaps a touch at the very end, near the nape, but that is
all. So while it's possible that Red-breasted Sapsucker is somewhere in the
lineage, I'm not sure if a hybrid is right there, either.

Anyway, it's an interesting bird to consider! I'd be happy to hear what
people think, based on the additional dorsal view.

Cheers,
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene