[obol] Eugene Lark Sparrow slide show (more like a slo-mo movie)

  • From: Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx>, Priscilla Sokolowski <pnhks55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 17:34:18 -0700

Dear OBOLers;

My thanks to Don Shrouder for sharing the location of the Lark Sparrow,
which turns out to be about a mile from where I live.

I went to the location Thursday afternoon and walked North along the fence
(but outside the field). The Lark Sparrow
was just around the northwest corner of the fields and flushed up to a tree
as soon as I went around that corner.
I saw it well enough in the tree to ID it. What a pretty little bird!

Then I went back towards my car to meet Marylee Sayre who was also going to
look for the bird.
I took her up to that corner and Marylee spotted it within 10 minutes. It
then went back down onto the track,
again along the North side of the fenced-in game fields.  It was only 25 or
30 feet from us and we watched it a good long time
while I also photographed it. After it flew into a leafless deciduous tree,
it started singing and kept that up for the rest of the time
we were there - maybe 15 more minutes.

I took so many photos I decided to make them into a fast-running slideshow
with fade-in-and-fade-outs.
It looks kind of like a slow motion movie.  For the first half, the bird is
feeding on the ground and for the 2nd half
it is up in the tree in clear sight.

I sent directions to a group of birders (BOGS members) and one of them went
to see the bird. She said
she and her husband spotted the Lark Sparrow before they even got out of
their car.

This bird has been very cooperative for a lot of birders! As far as I know,
it has not yet perched on anyone's shoulder to pose for photos, but who
knows what the next week will bring!

Here's the link:

http://priscillanhk.com/lark-sparrow-3-12-15.html

Enjoy!