[obol] Elegant Terns, Hammond Boat Basin Saturday (yes)

  • From: Sandi Morey <hobbsmorey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 07:37:38 -0700

Based on others' reports, we went to the Hammond Boat Basin yesterday right at
about noon, which according to my interpretation of the tide tables was about
an hour plus after high tide.  Very busy with fisherfolk as earlier reported
(Buoy 10 being open).

We stopped and parked at 'Seafarer's Park' beyond the boat basin parking areas
(which were full-plus), walked over to the right toward the Pilot Boat yard,
and there's a very nice opening in the shrubs and small trees through which the
boat basin's two rock jetties may be viewed.  And yes, indeed, we did see three
ELEGANT TERNS right off the bat, eventually spotting 5 in one group and another
apparently younger one off a few yards. Many many HEERMANN'S GULLS and BROWN
PELICANS as well.

After viewing through our binocs for a few minutes, a very bird-knowledgeable
woman Carol R, who'd driven all the way down to Hammond from Seattle that
morning in hopes of seeing the Elegant Terns (a Lifer for her as well as for
us), brought her spotting scope and allowed us to see wonderful views of the
birds. Very nice.

A fellow from Wilsonville also showed up while we were there, plus an Astoria
birder who also mentioned that MARBLED GODWITS tend to show up daily on the
jetty at around 4:30pm these days, just FYI.  We didn't hang around for that,
having seen them two weeks ago with the Whimbrels that had been reported (and
high tide two weeks ago was about 4:30 so that all worked out well for our
viewing pleasure).

High tide today is around 11:20 a.m. if my interpretation is correct . . .

Sandi & David Morey

Portland, Oregon