[obol] Early Crook County White-crowned Sparrow

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 01:01:02 -0700

I had an interesting sighting in my yard yesterday morning. I noticed a small bird hopping on the lawn and grabbed my bins. To my surprise, there was a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow doing the said hopping. I didn't recall ever seeing this species in the lowlands of Central Oregon in August so I checked the "Central Oregon Database" and, sure enough, there were no records. We don't usually start to see this migrant for another 3-4 weeks.

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,