[obol] Early Common Nighthawk records

  • From: Noah Strycker <noah.strycker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 13:07:52 -0700

Hi Tim and Tim,

I suspect that if more birders visited Malheur in early and mid-May (when
that area tends to be woefully underbirded), we'd get a few more reports of
early-arriving nighthawks. Duncan apparently had one at the Field Station
on May 8 this year. Last year, Bob Arrigoni (from Ashland) reported one at
Summer Lake on May 7. There are a couple of reliable-sounding eBird reports
from Idaho as early as May 7. I don't know of any earlier dates than those.

The first report from Harney County last year was May 18, a much more
expected arrival date, and I had a nighthawk a couple days later at HQ on
May 20. The influx of birding talent doesn't usually arrive there until
Memorial Day weekend, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few early nighthawks
slip under the radar each year, a week or so before Memorial Day.

But May 3 is a truly exceptional date. There are ZERO eBird reports of
Common Nighthawks in California before May 15, where you'd expect them to
arrive earlier than here in Oregon. Lesser Nighthawks arrive more than a
month earlier than Commons in California, where both are migratory. Here is
chart<http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?speciesCodes=comnig%2Clesnig&reportType=species&bMonth=01&bYear=1900&eMonth=12&eYear=2013&parentState=US-CA&countries=US&states=US-CA&getLocations=states&continue.x=57&continue.y=13>showing
the frequency of both in California, where any nighthawk seen
before mid-May is expected to be a Lesser.

So, yes, a Common Nighthawk on May 3 would be one of the most incredible
bird records from Harney County in quite a while, actually more unusual
than a Lesser Nighthawk.

Good birding -

Noah