[obol] EWEB Wetlands - Open to Birders

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:14:09 -0700

I have received correspondence from the EWEB general manager and the head
of EWEB's security team. They both apologized for the unfortunate
encounter I had in the EWEB wetlands area a few days ago.. Apparently, the
security staffer was not aware of policies allowing birder access to the
premises.

I also received guidelines for use of the property, which I said I would
share with obol.

EWEB staff members monitor eBird reports to keep track of what is being
seen in the wetlands area.

I encourage everyone who is not already doing this to open an eBird account
and use it to report your sightings,

even if you use it only to report data there from the EWEB Wetlands hotspot
that has been established on eBird.

This is the best possible outcome for everyone, so I hope those who bird
the EWEB wetlands area in the future will

contribute to EWEB's knowledge concerning the birds that use that area.

Here are the guidelines:

*"..birding is allowed and that there is no special authorization needed.
In the future, my Security staff may ask you or others what you are doing

*"If you come during weekdays, we’d ask that you use the visitor parking
that is closest to the main building entry. To access the main parking lot
turn right before the flag poles. If you come after hours or on the
weekend, please park safely where you need for your observations. If you
leave your car, maybe leave a copy of this email from Nate and me [Roger
Gray, GM] on your dashboard. Also, do lock your car. Please also feel
free to use the nice woodchip trail around the property. For safety
reasons, we also ask that people not walk on the main road that goes
to/from the back gate where our larger trucks come and go.*

*Our EWEB biologists and I would be interested in your census if it is
something you can share." *

From Barbara again: I think some indication on your vehicle dashboard that
you are "gone birding" would suffice if you leave it in the parking lot to
go walking around, just so they know why your car is there.

Good birding, everyone!

--
Barbara Combs obie '70
Lane County, OR