[obol] ECAS Wednesday, West side of Bend, Deschutes county - COMMON REDPOLL

  • From: jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: COBOL <COBOL@xxxxxxxxx>, 'obol' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 15:28:25 -0800

We had advance OK from a few birders to visit their feeders. Our walking tour of neighborhoods spent over an hour, almost 2 hours at Patty Meehan home due to one of the first birds we had there was a single COMMON REDPOLL. We only saw it when we were there at the start and despite waiting and watching the many Lesser Goldfinchs and a few Pine Siskins, we didn't see the Redpoll again. It is probably in the neighborhood although Patty's yard is the most active we found on the west side. Viewing from corner of 11 th and Kingston gives one the best views. SAME YARD and perhaps same bird that was reported by Tom P and Tom L from CBC a year ago. Believe it or not, spring was in the air later as the sun came out and birds were singing and chasing each other. We had 4 Anna's today. Marion Davidson joined us for her feeders and a walk along 1st street Rapids trail. HERMIT THRUSH and MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD were flitting about near the footbridge, also Townsend's Solitaire and Robin, for 4 thrush species seen in a single spot. Ducks were sporting beautiful fresh plumage. List below. I did an ebird report from Patty's yard, "stakeout Common Redpoll" is the site name, the ebird spot from last year. Next week, Prineville area.
This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan - not wild, pinioned of course
Mallard
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser - beautiful pair
Common Merganser
Bald Eagle - 2 adults, over the river
Cooper's Hawk - 1 adult, alley view near MA Kruse neighborhood
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Anna's Hummingbird - 1 at Patty's, 3 territorial males along 1st St.
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Mountain Chickadee
Pygmy Nuthatch
American Dipper
Mountain Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing - single bird, distant, likely Cedar
Spotted Towhee
Song Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 1 along river
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird - singing in 2 spots, MA Kruse feeders and river
House Finch
Common Redpoll - 1 at Patty's. Saw, and it vocalized.
Pine Siskin - 2
Lesser Goldfinch - 15
American Goldfinch - 2
House Sparrow