[obol] Downtown Portland Redtailed-hawk Nest

  • From: Rob Conway <robin_birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 20:59:45 +0000

The Redtailed-hawk nest on the US District Court building on the 3rd Ave side,
near the corner of Salmon has 2 active nestlings that are still downy, but
beginning to fledge.  We have a telescope set-up in my office at 4th and Taylor
that looks almost directly across to them.  The adults are bringing a variety
of prey items including squirrels, rats, pigeons, and early this morning a
still squirming gosling, to feed the hungry chicks.  There is some wing beating
behavior beginning in the fledglings who are 12 stories up above 3rd - they
appear to have moved out of the main nest into a "safer" area next to the nest
that has a 3 or 4 inch ledge to prevent them from sliding directly off and down
to the ground.

The adults attempted to nest at this site last year, but a rainy March and
April and window washing at the end of April and an attack by a Peregrine led
to abandonment of the nest.  The building of the new nest started in late
February this year and proceeded rather slowly, but has culminated in a
successful hatch in a truly ultra urban area.  We regularly get very close
views of the parents flying by the window with both nest material and meals for
the youngsters.  Very cool.

Rob

Rob Conway
Camas, WA