[obol] Douglas and Lane Co Snowy Plovers

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 16:27:18 -0800

Today we surveyed for SNOWY PLOVERS in Douglas and Lane Co. In Douglas Co we found 47 plovers at North Tahkenitch, and another 3 at South Overlook.

In Lane Co we counted the largest flock of plovers we have ever recorded on the coast of Oregon, and certainly one of the largest flocks in many decades. An impressive 90 plovers were near the I-beam of North Siltcoos. It was a lot of fun to watch them all in one tight flock, running around on the beach, and flying as one flock over the ocean and back again. This is by far the easiest location to see plovers, as all one has to do is park, walk over the foredune, and search on the beach. Please remember these are protected birds so please treat them nicely if you are going to look for them.

We also had one OSPREY at Siltcoos.

Cheers
Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx