[obol] Douglas Coast today

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:08:43 -0800

Jimmy Billstine and I did some road/access scouting for the upcoming
Reedsport CBC (December 30th). Well, we did some birding too. Some
highlights:

At least 5 BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS off the mouth of the Umpqua River. I
saw up to 3 at a time and several other individuals. Actually could see the
dark vent on only a couple, but presume they were most likely all the same
species. Still many BROWN PELICANS and HEERMANN'S GULLS there too.

Up one forest road we had nice looks and "hears" of some GRAY JAYS, and had
one RUFFED GROUSE along the road.

HUTTON'S VIREOs in several places, and some good photos. Love those
blue-gray feet!

A beautiful adult PEREGRINE FALCON allowed a quick photo.

On Fivemile Rd along Tahkenitch Lake, where Mallard Creek comes in, two
SWAMP SPARROWS were calling as was a Black Phoebe, making for nice
comparison of "similar but different" calls.

Some photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/albums/72157660334112207

Give me a call/email if you can come help with the first-ever Reedsport CBC!

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR