[obol] Douglas Co birds - RUSTY BLACKBIRD + Killdeer

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 20:01:25 -0800

I birded Winchester Bay and the south jetty this morning.  There were about 50
AMERICAN PIPITS hanging out on the grass in the marina and a female COMMON
GOLDENEYE on the edge of the multitude of the WESTERN GREBES.
There were multiple BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES in the nearshore waters and a
LONG-TAILED DUCK dodging the two Gray Whales between the jetties.
Surprisingly, heat waves made a seawatch kind of worthless.  A MARBLED
MURRLELET was noteworthy as was a RHINOCEROS AUKLET.
KILLDEER were noted along the entire length of Hwy 38 and elicited more than
one expletive with their suicidal tendencies and cunctation of taking flight.
As Alan C notes, there were also WILSON'S SNIPE & WESTERN MEADOWLARKS at most
of the my birding stops throughout the day.
Matt Hunter's RUSTY BLACKBIRD was still present in Yoncalla at the corner of
Fourth St & Alder St.  Also present were Brewer's, Red-winged & Tri-colored
Blackbirds as well as Brown-headed Cowbirds.
I tried unsuccessfully to located any swans, uncommon falcons or phoebes at
Platt I in Sutherlin.
Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford