[obol] Deschutes county - RED PHALAROPE - Hatfield, Lew Rems

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 17:35:10 -0700

One RED PHALAROPE at the first pond at Hatfield. He saw it with 3 Red-necked
Phalaropes and saw it well, with a good enough look, and a long enough look to
compare and see the size and bill difference etc.  They may have flown off
toward the back pond but although there were 11 or so Phalaropes back there
when me birded the back pond later, the RED was not with them. On his return
trip to the front pond, he did not find any phalaropes at all. Jim Moodie ( and
Summitt?) were at the front pond with him for a while but none of them were
able to re-find it.

Worth a check certainly. This is an excellent county bird, not too many
records, although Lew has seen one years ago up at Wickiup and Laura McCoy and
I had one years ago at Hatfield in December, on the Bend CBC.  Probably other
records but not many and I think county listers should be starting their
engines now...........
Good birding, Judy meredith, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx