[obol] Deschutes River State Park and Recreation Area (late)

  • From: Justin Rodecap <rodecapj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 18:32:30 +0000

All,

I had an opportunity Wednesday morning to bike along the old rail grade from
the mouth of the Deschutes River 11 miles down to Harris Ranch. Temperature was
44 degrees and drizzly when I left, drizzled off and on the whole time, and 3.5
hours later when I got back to the car the weather was basically the same (46
degrees). . However, there were quite a few birds considering the weather.

1)A pair of Chats on territory in the willows and brush next to the Gravel
Parking Lot close to the Campground entrance.

2) Lots of Swallows on fencelines and low over the river. In order of
abundance: Cliff, Bank, Tree, Barn, Violet Green

3) Lots of Rock/Canyon Wrens all along the rail grade.

4) Lots of Lazuli Buntings bravely singing away.

5) Several pairs of Ash-Throated Flycatchers.

6) Lots of birds in the small patch of riparian forest at Harris Ranch. There
were two bedraggled Olive-Sided Flycatchers, Several Townsend's Warblers, A
couple of Wilson's Warblers, Tanagers, a Western Flycatcher, and many American
Goldfinches eating something off of the Poison Hemlock growing in the
underbrush. In addition, there was a nice pair of Ash-Throated Flycatchers
foraging .

Harris Ranch seems like a great migrant trap to me...it has some bigger
riparian vegetation along with a few pines and lots of lush undergrowth. A
small creek comes into the river here as well. This was only the second time I
have birded it and both times there were lots of migrants/breeding birds to
enjoy.

7) A male Peregrine Falcon soaring in front of the cliffs about a half mile
from the campground on the Wasco Co. side heading back towards Celilo. I tried
to rustle up some White-Throated Swifts, but all I was able to see when looking
up high in the sky were a few cliff swallows before my binoculars were covered
in rain.

Happy Birding!
Justin Rodecap