[obol] Curry Vesper Sparrow et al. 3/29/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 18:09:38 -0700

I went south of Coos Bay early AM and birded Bethel Mtn., Coos.  Not much
out of the ordinary- many singing meadowlarks, WC Sparrows and Savannahs
Sparrows plus a few OC Warblers and Audubon's Warblers.

I then went south to Floras Creek, Curry which is just south and east of
Langlois along Hwy 101.  A cool spot and the best birding is just a mile or
two off Hwy 101. Just before the first bridge I heard a singing VESPER
SPARROW. This species breeds in the area (one of the few locations on the
S. Coast) but this bird is a bit early for sure.  I also thought I may have
heard an early Chipper Sparrow singing but it was a ways off and there were
lots of juncoes singing, and their song can vary quite a bit, so I wasn't
sure. Would have liked to have seen the bird. This would have been real
early for them, at least on the south coast.

There have been scads of singing OC WARBLERS just about everywhere on the
south coast the past few mornings, at least where there are any trees.  You
couldn't hardly stop anywhere and not hear one or two singing.  Quite a few
Audubon's Warblers singing too, along with the occasional Myrtle which
makes you think, what was that until you track a few down.

I birded around Coos Bay a bit yesterday, and there were OC Warblers
singing everywhere also.  In addition, I heard my first yellowthroat
actually singing on the N. Spit of Coos Bay. The Purple Finches are finally
in also, a wee bit late, and singing up a storm (a few were in early, but
usually we got many singing birds by mid-month, not this year). I counted
about 400 BRANT in the Empire/Charleston area of Coos Bay yesterday
afternoon, about the same number as last month.  The grebes were looking
cool, as the Red-necked, Horned, and Eared are all molting into their more
colorful breeding plumage. 10's of Pigeon Guillemots in the bay, all in
breeeding plumage now.

Oh, turkeys a gobblin away now also.  Spring is here, just in time for
April which seems like it has been the one wet cool month on the coast in
the past few years.  I expect our hummer feeders will be really busy later
in the week as the weather cools down and we have 20 or 30 hummers hanging
at our place.  Gotta love it.

Oh, the day after Alan Brockway reported the first Purple Martins on the
south coast at Tenmile Lakes Coos I think that was 3/25 (traditionally the
1st spot in OR), Knute Andersson had 4 at his place SW of Langlois in
Curry.  They normal show up first at Tenmile then its about another week or
more before anywhere else, so I suspect they may arrive early elsewhere
also.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay