[obol] Re: Crossbills on ground

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Floyd Schrock <fschrock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 17:54:02 -0700

Hi -

Crossbills do pick up grit, but their conifer-seed diets tend to deficient
in minerals as well, and they often forage for minerals as well.  They
often alight on brick chimneys and walls and pick at the mortar between the
bricks. i think it is a source of calcium and magnesium, among other
minerals.  They also will fly into cold fireboxes and firepits in
campgrounds and pick at the ashes.

Wayne