[obol] Re: Could this be a Red Fox Sparrow?

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stevernord@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 15:14:41 -0800

Hi Steve,

It looks to me like this could be the *altivagans *subspecies of the Fox
Sparrow, which in the literature is variably assigned to either the "Red"
(iliaca) or the "Slate-colored" (schistacea) subspecies group.

I have seen this type occasionally in the winter in Western Oregon.

Good birding!

Hendrik

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Steve Nord <stevernord@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OBOL;

This morning a Fernhill Wetlands, Forest Grove, a FOX SPARROW was feeding
on the trail near Dabbler Marsh. This bird appeared much redder and more
patterned than our typical "SOOTY" FOX SPARROWS, and not like the
"SLATE-COLORED" FOX SPARROWS I've seen.

Although it looks unlike any "Red" Fox Sparrow I knew while growing up in
New York, it seems to have many of the characters listed in my reference
books to be this subspecies.

1.Crown and auriculars patterned with rufous and gray. Pale lores.
2. streaked back, although not as distinct as shown in Sibley
3. greater wing coverts tipped with white

I have no experience with these "western" versions of the Red Fox Sparrow,
so I was wondering if anyone out there does, and has opinions on this
bird. Photos at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40075846@N04/22760555205/

Thanks

Good Birding