[obol] Corvallis oriole, other migrants

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:38:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hello birders,

Oscar Harper and I took a late-morning walk up Campus Way Bike Path in
Corvallis today and also checked out the Benton County Fairgrounds. We
encountered a fair number of migrants, including WARBLING VIREOS,
ORANGE-CROWEND, WILSON'S AND YELLOW-RUMPED (Audubon's) WARBLERS, COMMON
YELLOWTHROATS and a LAZULI BUNTING. A lone BULLOCK'S ORIOLE (our FOY) was
quietly singing in the oak grove at the Fairgrounds.

We also encountered good numbers of ACORN WOODPECKERS in both locations
(several at active nest holes), a couple of COOPER'S HAWKS and 3 SHARP-SHINNED
HAWKS. A pair of CALIFORNIA QUAIL was leading a clutch of invisible babies
through the tall grass in the Campus Way oak grove, and a baby KILLDEER was
scurrying around the OSU Cattle Barn yard, while a concerned parent kept watch
from atop a manure pile.

Merry Migration

Hendrik & Oscar
Hendrik G. Herlyn
Corvallis, OR

"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."
     -- Gary Snyder