[obol] Corvallis - Witham Hill feeder birds

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:17:14 -0800

Hello folks,

The cold weather really brought an influx of feathered visitors to our
feeders today! Oscar and I were surprised to see that 3 (!) WHITE-THROATED
SPARROWS were foraging for seed among the usual juncos, towhees and
scrub-jays on our patio.

The suet cake was in high demand, with several BLACK-CAPPED and
CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES, a flock of BUSHTITS, 2 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES,
a DOWNY WOODPECKER and a pair of bright TOWNSEND’S WARBLERS taking turns. A
somewhat confused PINE SISKIN briefly landed on the hummingbird feeder
before being chased off by one of our resident ANNA’S HUMMERS.

The pine next to our patio was alive with a mixed flock, including both
flavors of KINGLETS, a couple of BROWN CREEPERS, a STELLER’S JAY, a couple
of VARIED THRUSHES and numerous AMERICAN ROBINS, along with the chickadees,
nuthatches and warblers already mentioned.

Not a bad day at the “office” – except for the fact that it is hard to get
any work done with all that activity!

Happy winter birding (sure feels like it today)

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn