[obol] Coos male MacGillivray's Warbler 11/22/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 18:00:04 -0800

I was out later in the PM at the Eastside Coos Bay kack patch (think
Painted Bunting) and a colorful warbler popped up on the trail in front of
me. At first the yellow underparts and hooded appearance made me think
Nashville, until it turned its head and I saw the diagnostic half arcs
above and below the eye. It then flitted downward into some dense brush
not to be seen again. I did hear it calling though- what a November
surprise! The latest previous record for Coos I know of is Sept. 14.
However, the Doctors of Birdology- Mr. Herlyn and Mr. Contreras, in the
Handbook of Oregon Birds (a must buy if you do not already have it), list
three mid-winter records (that would be December on) so I do not think
seeing this bird is unprecedented, but a total surprise for sure- bird of
the day : )

Merry migration?
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay