[obol] Coos Tropical K, Mtn. Chicks 11/22/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 09:33:46 -0800

This morning around 8AM there was a TROPICAL KINGBIRD at the BLM office in
N. Bend. It stayed around long enough for Barb Griffin to get a look at
it. While we were observing it in the spotting scope, a nice passerine
flock happened by (north end of the BLM office) with 2+ MTN CHICKADEES, CB
Chickadees, both kinglets, nuthatches, and both YR and Townsend's Warblers.

The kingbird flew over into the airport area. I was able to refind it in
trees along the runway. There were a couple adult Bald Eagles hanging out
in the grassy areas near one of the runways which was kind of interesting.
Also a RS Hawk and an Osprey catching fish off the north end of the
airport. I have seen Osprey in several locations lately, we may have up to
4 overwintering. Will be interesting to see how many show up on the Coos
Bay CBC- just 4 weeks from today. At this point I haven't heard from many
folks and areas like Millicoma Marsh remain uncovered- hopefully we'll get
a few more interested birders for the CBC.

Merry Thanksgiving all!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay