[obol] Coos Tropical K- 10/7/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 19:11:16 -0700

While dog walking with Teak along Lark Bunting way on the north spit of
Coos Bay late afternoon, we came upon a flycatching TROPICAL KINGBIRD.
Wonderful views. This would be at the 4-mile marker but on the bay side.
There is a gravel road that crosses a small slough then goes along the bay
over towards a chip terminal. The bird was out that way maybe a 1/3 mile
from the road, just where the road meets the bay. This has been a good
birding spot for me as well as a good dog walking spot. Other birds of
interest here (besides the breeding plumaged Lark Bunting) have been: a
singing Gray Catbird (there two weeks), two singing N. Parulas (different
years), a singing CC Sparrow (spring), and more common stuff like Bullock's
Oriole in the spring. Also out along the bay toady were the continuing 5
MARBLED GODWITS (8 there yesterday).

Across the road at the old Weyco pond site was a nice assortment of ducks
including the first CANVASBACK I have seen this fall and one of those cool,
nonbreeding-plumaged male EURASIAN WIGEONS. I think I have only seen
something like three in the last 15+ years in Coos.

Other nice sightings included one Frank Mayer at the house this PM : )

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay