[obol] Coos SEMI SANDS, PAC GOLDEN

  • From: Daniel Farrar <jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:16:44 -0700

Obol,
     Shorebirding has been slow but good on the beach the last week.  Today
there was a PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER and 2 ! SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS at Tenmile
Creek mouth.  It was sort of deja vu as we had both species earlier this
week, albeit not together or at the same site.  The flock was east of the
spit working the mud in the estuary and it also contained 4 WESTERN SP, 6
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, and a DUNLIN.  Got a few photos this time:
Golden Plover - https://flic.kr/p/nzmUAA
Semi Sand - https://flic.kr/p/nznnPa
                      https://flic.kr/p/nRQxzk

A mile down the beach near the ATV riding area a bird flushed and flew out
over the ocean.  We noted a whitish rump and wing bars.  It was slightly
larger than a golden plover and I am pretty confident it was a RED KNOT.
We had a similar bird last week at Tahkenitch Creek that flew by the
Marbled Godwit that I am also pretty sure was a knot, but I forgot to
mention it at the time.  Too excited about the shrike I guess.

Good birding,

Daniel Farrar
Dunes City, Oregon
jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx