[obol] Coos Rock Wren et al. 6/22/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 12:18:07 -0700

I camped up in Eden Valley (Ash Swamp) on the Siskiyou NF last night- a
great spot for COMMON NIGHTHAWKS which put on a good show starting around
8PM and were back again by 0430 this morning.

I was surprised to hear a RUFFED GROUSE still drumming, also heard a late
SOOTY GROUSE.

Up on the south side of Mt. Bolivar, just below the summit, I had a singing
ROCK WREN this morning.  We have had potential breeders singing up there
four of the last seven years (not last year though); the only semi-reliable
location for this species in the county.

I had a weird sounding purple colored finch singing high up in a snag
there, its song included some Townsend Solitaire call notes (which was the
only usual bird I missed).  It was to far away to get a good look at, may
have been a Cassin's but can't say for sure? No breeding records of
Cassin's in Coos although a few breed further south in the higher Siskiyous
of Curry Co.

The other interesting bird I saw on the east side of Bolivar was a
leucistic LAZULI BUNTING. The wings were black with a white wing bar and
the rest of the bird was a dirty white color.  It sang like a Lazuli though.

Down to 37F at Ash Swamp this morning- nice camping weather, not many
mosquitoes!

ENJOY,
Tim R
Coos Bay