[obol] Coos Painted Bunting 12/19/2013

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:59:00 -0800 (PST)

The bunting continued today. I put more seed down and Barb Taylor and I watched
it for about a half hour, it posed for Barb a few times and I think she got
some good digi-scope photos.  I have to try and figure out how to download them
and then get them to whoever to post (she gave me her camera to download them).
 My wife can figure the downloading part this evening.

Just to taunt me at the site was a mixed flock of PINE SISKINS and A.
Goldfinches in the alder trees calling like mad saying something like,
how-was-your-CBC how-was-your-CBC?

Also at the seed was a good quantity of sparrows including one Swamp and a few
Lincoln's and White-throateds.

I am uncertain if it is possible to tell an adult female from a first fall
female/male, so the sex of the bird is uncertain to me?  Perhaps their is
someone that can make a call out there once we post the photos.

As some of you may remember, about a year and a half ago, a guy over in
Coquille shared a photo with me of a bird that was at his feeders for about six
weeks in late winter/early spring. he shared the photos with me after it left.
He suspected OC Warbler but it was a female or immature female/male Painted
Bunting.  After that episode I thought we would never see one again.  Never
heard what OBRC did with that one, their was some excellent photos though.

ENJOY!
Tim R
Coos Bay