[obol] Re: Coos & Curry Birds- Labor Day weekend

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 16:03:30 -0700 (PDT)

I guess what I mean is one expects the first birds in early September, the
previously early September bird was on 4 September.  That said there are
several July and early August records of failed breeders, non-breeders,
whatever.  If one was tracking when birds normally show up, I think it would be
fair to say the 31 August is the earliest (disregarding July or early August
birds that show up irregularly and definitely not every year in Coos) one would
EXPECT to see the first birds.

I like to have such information to, for instance, gather whether a flock of
Dunlin reported say, in mid-August, was a legit sighting or not (probably not).
 Such info is useful, especially to beginning birders who are trying to figure
out what shorebirds are in front of them, say in July or early August...

Say no more Tim!

Tim R
Coos Bay