[obol] Coos Bay CBC Prelim Report 12/15/2013

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 21:45:34 -0800 (PST)

After being awake close to 24 hours, excuse any errors I make.  I will say that
this is year 15 in-a-row that the Coos Bay CBC has surpassed 150 species, which
was only done once before that in its now 40 year history! Prelim total is 154.
Beautiful weather today, the best in years but we had a lower than normal
turnout observer-wise and certain species, particularly finches, were almost
absent or were absent, here are the highlights and misses:

No Brant (one around about a week ago, not regular here on CBCs in recent years)
1- Eurasian Wigeon
2- Redhead (good find on our CBC in recent years)
18- Black Scoter
2- Long-tailed Duck
1- Clark's Grebe
NO Cooper's Hawk (big miss)
2- Willet
3- Marbled Godwits
very few rockpipers and no Rock Sandpiper (tough in recent years)
Marbled Murrelet but no Ancient Murrelet (opposite of normal)
NO Glaucous Gull (all the other usual gulls including Bonies)
2- Barred Owls (in different locations, no surprise for this increasing species)
1- N. Pygmy Owl (the toughest owl on our count these days) + 4 other owl
species (6 total)
1- Red-breasted Sapsucker
1- Northern Shrike
NO Palm Warbler (one a week ago in an area that would be near impossible to
relocate)
8- Swamp Sparrows
2- Purple Finches
8- Red Crossbills
0- Pine Siskins (CW bird- just not around, last year we had a record number)
2- Lesser Goldfinch (quite a few Americans though)

Other rarities include:
multiple Rhino Auklets
Osprey (1+)
52- GWF Goose (rare 10+ years ago, regular almost in recent years)
4- OC Warbler
a large flock of "Wild" Turkeys
4- Evening Grosbeak
several Northern Fulmar
three+ (?) Pigeon Guillemot
a ST Shearwater (great looks said the observers)
Sooty Shearwater (oh Russ Mike will want details!)
1- Cackling Goose (one!)
1- Western Scrub-jay (one of the breeders still around town)
16- Western Bluebirds

Still need a few feeder reports but probably won't pick up anything new.

Happy CBCing!
Tim R
Coos Bay