[obol] Coos Baird's Sandpiper 6/30/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:07:21 -0700

Joe Metzler reports that the Tenmile Creek BAIRD'S SANDPIPER he first
spotted on 24 June was still around in the same location today.  Normally
the first southbound Baird's do not show up until the second week of July.
The peak of migration is around mid-August, with only an occasional bird
here and there in September. Spring migrants are rare and do not get
reported every year.  This all said, we had the earliest ever spring record
of this species this year in Coos- 8 April (Dave Lauten, Kathy
Castelein) and now the earliest "fall" record. Granted this could be a
wandering nonbreeder but still, we have never had a late June record in
Coos before.

Joe said there were about 400 Western Sandpipers at the mouth of Tenmile
Creek (NW Coos) and the first southbound LEAST SANDPIPER he has seen.

He also mentioned that the beach was littered with vela vela; Holly, Teak
and I saw vela vela all over the beach off the north spit Coos Bay
yesterday also.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay