[obol] Re: Common Raven ?

  • From: "Richard W. Musser" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mussermcevoy@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "maryleesayre@xxxxxxxxx" <maryleesayre@xxxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 18:43:21 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Mary,     How specifically do they go about capturing these grosbeaks?
Ravens are very powerful fliers, but I've never seen them pursuing grosbeaks or
anything else that can easily out turn them. In my experience with ravens, they
will capture whatever they can, but don't waste energy with dubious efforts. If
you don't wish this predation to continue, you need to figure out how to
interrupt the ravens process of predating these birds. Possibly giving the
grosbeaks some "cover" might help. I'd be interested in how this goes for you.
Best regards, Dick Musser (4 mi. NW of Vale)

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:22 PM, Mary Lee Sayre
<maryleesayre@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi obolers,

I have a COMMON RAVEN that has been hunting my feeder for the last 2 weeks.
Favorite prey EVENING GROSBEAKS…I’ve watched it actually successfully hunt 4
times.  I’ve never seen it before.  When i first saw the feather piles assumer
SHARP-SHINNED or COOPERS HAWKS.  I have both in the neighborhood.  Is this
common?

Mary Lee Sayre
Oakridge