[obol] Common Black-headed Gull, Jefferson Co.

  • From: Craig Miller <gismiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cobol <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 22:09:13 -0800

Hi all,

Here is a link to the gull Marilyn and I found at Suttle Lake, Jefferson
County, Oregon this afternoon.

https://flic.kr/p/A8YaFR

Although it looks generally like a Bonaparte's Gull (white head with black
spot behind the eye), the bill is larger, thicker, and reddish with a dark
tip.

Inexplicably, when a single gull was relocated at Suttle Lake later in the
afternoon, it was a Bonaparte's Gull having a short, thin, black bill
unlike the gull that I photographed here. A number of birders are planning
to go looking for the Common Black-headed Gull tomorrow.

Cheers,

Craig Miller