[obol] Columbia Estuary Report - 3/26/2015

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Susan Boac <seasidesusan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:46:25 -0700

Columbia Estuary Report - 3/26/2015

The BLACK-HEADED GULL was last reported on 3/22.  I've looked a couple
times since then, but mid-day low tides make for less than straight
forward gull watching on the bay at DQ.

Lots of migrant arrivals this week.  Two TURKEY VULTURES were at
Brownsmead on Sunday.  A single bird flew over Stanley Lake today.
There are plenty of TREE and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS just about everywhere.

Neal Maine reports an OSPREY at the Warrenton Soccer fields.

The RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD migration is happening right now.  I heard
my first singing ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER today.  Singing Orange-crowns
were reported by others last weekend.  Neal Maine and I found a COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT on the Neawanna today at the hospital wetlands in Seaside.

Singing RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS.

Also today, Neal and I saw a very large flock of RING-BILLED GULLS
(105), noisily flying north in a loose formation and at fairly high
altitude (for gulls).  I presume they were migrating.

Active GREAT BLUE HERON nests have already incubating individuals on
them in Seaside and a BALD EAGLE nest in Seaside also has an incubating
pair.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR