[obol] Columbia Estuary Report - 10/6/2015

  • From: "Mike Patterson" <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "swalalahos" <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 19:12:29 -0700

Columbia Estuary Report - 10/6/2015

For those who don't restrict themselves to arbitrary geopolitical
boundaries, both the HUDSONIAN and BAR-TAILED GODWITS continue to be
reported from the Ilwaco boat basin. The SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPERS
reported there on Saturday have not been relocated.

There was a truly awesome congregation of BROWN PELICANS this morning on
the beach at the South Jetty of the Columbia River. I estimate at least
1500 birds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/21817634859

There was also a big movement of PACIFIC LOONS and the first significant
numbers of both HERRING and THAYER'S GULLS. And I saw my first of the
season DUNLIN on the river beach.

ELEGANT and CASPIAN TERNS continue to be reported, though in much
smaller numbers. It is getting late for those species.

Whales continue, as well.

---
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR