[obol] Re: Cold weather and Yellow-throated Warbler

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ninerharv2@xxxxxxx" <ninerharv2@xxxxxxx>, "acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx" <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>, "rabican1@xxxxxxxxx" <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 19:47:47 -0800 (PST)

I definitely second that emotion, Harv - even though I was born in Germany, I
have
lived here for the better part of the last 25 years, and I certainly
consider myself an Oregonian first and foremost ... hey, my Oregon state
 list beats my Germany list by well over 100 species :-)

__________________________
Hendrik G. Herlyn
Corvallis, OR

"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."
     -- Gary Snyder

________________________________
From:  Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
To:  OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [obol] Cold weather and Yellow-throated Warbler

Jack mentions cold weather coming, last Yellow-throated Warbler I saw was in
Boise in a Dec.  It was in low 20's as highs, it hung around a pine tree along
the Boise River for many days.

  Wonder if there are aphids in the pine at Ankeny to keep it happy, as Alan C
had with his bug and warbler infested  tree in his second home in CO.

Bob Archer

On Dec 2, 2013, at 5:43 PM, Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I love stakeouts - you see people you haven't seen in awhile, and you often
meet a lot of other nice people, as well. Both happened to me today, which was
a nice takeaway on a day that fell short on producing high quality images of a
rarity. I am nevertheless very excited to have come away from this chase with
three diagnostically adequate additions to our life-photo-list.

The only location the bird was found while I was in the area was the front yard
of a personal residence located about a quarter mile due n.w. of the overlook.
Good luck!   It seems like there is a good chance this bird could be around for
awhile - that is of course if it is able to tolerate the approaching unusually
cold weather.

I am now wondering if the homeowners are aware they are hosting a celebrity
bird; if not, they might appreciate a knock on their door explaining the
respect ful milling about of people with binoculars, scopes and cameras.
http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2013/12/yellow-throated-warbler-yes

--
Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon