[obol] Clatsop Black-headed Gull details

  • From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:43:22 -0700

Hi all,

I'm the Clatsop eBird reviewer so I emailed the observer who reported a
Black-headed Gull from Canon Beach on the morning of March 13th (
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S22337937).

The observer, Aaron Driscoll, is on the road and can't send photos of the
bird until later this week, but said that he's absolutely certain it was a
1st winter Black-headed Gull. His description wasn't very detailed, but he
said that he compared between his photos and the Sibley guide and it wasn't
a Bonaparte's Gull. In particular he noted the head pattern and that only
the tip of the bill was black.

So, while I suppose there's a slim possibility that it was a mis-ID'd
kittiwake or something like that, I encourage anybody in the area to check
it out.

Good birding,

Adrian