[obol] Christmas Bird Count Schedule--Mostly complete

  • From: Don Albright <donalbright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 06:01:40 +0000 (UTC)

Hi All,
I'm a little behind schedule on this project this year, but I have gathered
most of the dates for Oregon's Christmas Bird Counts for the upcoming count
season.  The list is included at the bottom of this email.  Within a few days I
plan to have all the dates including contact information posted to the website
of the Oregon Birding Association (www.orbirds.org), but I want to make sure I
have all the contact information confirmed before posting it there.
We have roughly 53 counts happening across the state this time around.  32 or
33 of Oregon's 36 counties are included in count circles this winter, with only
Malheur, Morrow, Curry, and possibly Wheeler Counties not represented.  The
only brand new count that I'm aware of is the Reedsport CBC being started up by
Matt Hunter.  For anyone looking for the ultimate birding experience, it would
actually be possible this winter to participate on CBCs on nine consecutive
days from December 26 through January 3!  Any takers?
I have been unsuccessful at getting in touch with either Jeff Hayes or Joe
Blowers about a date for the Tygh Valley CBC.  If they're here on OBOL, or if
someone can get me an updated email address for one of them, I'd love to get in
touch with them.
I'll post updates here when I get more dates reported to me.
Good birding,
Don Albrightdonalbright@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(Please note this is a new email address for me)

Christmas Bird Counts in Oregon for 2015-16:
Monday, December 14Upper Nestucca
Tuesday, December 15CorvallisGilliam CountyLincoln CitySummer Lake
Wednesday, December 16Hart MountainMadras
Friday, December 18Oakridge
Saturday, December 19Baker County--SalisburyBendFlorence Forest GroveGrants
Pass John DayKlamath FallsMedfordRoseburg-Sutherlin SalemTillamook Bay
Sunday, December 20Columbia EstuaryCoos BayLyle, WA (includes The Dalles,
Rowena and Mosier, OR)Sauvie IslandSistersWallowa County
Tuesday, December 22Hood River
Wednesday, December 23Redmond
Saturday, December 26Brownsville
Sunday, December 27Yamhill Valley (McMinnville, Amity, Sheridan)
Monday, December 28Dallas
Tuesday, December 29Wahkiakum, WA (includes Knappa and Brownsmead, OR)
Wednesday, December 30ReedsportSilverton
Thursday, December 31Prineville
Friday, January 1Cowlitz-ColumbiaSantiam Pass
Saturday, January 2AshlandBaker County--Baker ValleyColumbia Hills-Klickitat
Valley, WA (includes Biggs, Rufus and John Day Dam, OR)Coquille
ValleyPortlandUmatilla County Union County
Yaquina Bay
Sunday, January 3Airlie-AlbanyEugeneTule Lake, CA (very near Oregon border)

Still to schedule:AntelopeAntone (might not happen this year)Burns-HinesP Ranch
-- Malheur National Wildlife RefugeSunriver (might not happen this year)Tygh
ValleyUtopia (Culver, Lake Billy Chinook, Haystack Reservoir)
Not happening this year:Illinois ValleyPort OrfordSheldon, NV