[obol] Chimney Swift - Eugene

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 23:19:35 -0700

Owen Schmidt and I joined Barbara Combs, Larry McQueen and his wife, and two
other Eugene birders at the parking lot on the north side of Agate Hall on the
UO campus this evening for the arrival of the roosting Vaux's Swifts.  (Parking
there is allowed without cost after 6:00 PM.) The swifts roost in the old
chimney visible from the parking lot.

To our delight, the Chimney Swift heard yesterday by Barbara made several
passes making its distinctive calls.

It later came by several times with a small number of Vaux's Swifts before
entering the chimney and we were able to distinguish it in flight by its larger
size and generally darker coloration, as it also made its distinctive calls.

Barbara said that the number of swifts had greatly decreased from recent days,
but that might have helped us  to get observations of the Chimney Swift.  It
really cooperated in several swirling passes by us not much higher than the
roof top, and was quite easy to keep distinguished from the Vaux's once it was
spotted

Good job finding it yesterday Barbara.

Jeff Gilligan
Portland